Homework is a key aspect of education, as is used for extending student’s knowledge, completing work begun in subject lessons during the school day, preparing for future lessons and supporting exam preparation and coursework.
Homework can take a variety of forms including:
- Learning vocabulary and spelling
- Completing or continuing coursework
- Doing corrections following feedback from the teacher
- Written work
- An extended piece of work to be completed over several weeks
How parents can help
- Encourage your child to read as much and as often as possible
- If possible, provide a quiet place for your child to complete their homework
- Have spare pens, pencils available
- Look at your child’s planner find out what tasks have been set and when the teacher is expecting the work to be done by. Encourage them to complete the work on the night that the task is set, rather that leaving it until the day it is due in. A little and often approach to homework helps manage the workload so your child doesn’t get behind.