Not just a library, but an area popular with all year groups for reading, study and homework – it is also a learning environment where computers are booked by teachers for lessons.
The Cheney LRC is open from 8.15am to 4pm every day, except Friday when we close at 3.15pm. The librarian is on duty to help with students with their reading selection, computers and printing, and for homework support.
Resources available to students include:
- Colour and Black and white printer/photocopiers
- 42 computers for student use
- A selection of magazines and newspapers
- Career books and leaflets
- Fiction to suit all tastes and abilities, including MANGA, the Classics, prize winners, popular teenage series and Quick Reads
- Printed information resources: books to borrow, encyclopaedias to photocopy
- For the busy student, stationery and maths equipment for loan
- DVDs to take home (£2 deposit)
- Reference copies of textbooks and revision guides; use in the library or photocopy relevant sections
A team of student helpers run the library desk at break and lunch, rewarded each term with achievement points and an end of year treat to a bookshop, theatre or library.
Author visits are organised to other schools, and authors are also invited to Cheney School as part of the World Book Day events and celebration.
We hold regular charity book sales to support Book Aid International.