There is no doubt that there is a strong link between success at school and a high level of attendance. Therefore unless your child is really too unwell to attend, in which case the best place for him or her is at home, please support the school by ensuring regular attendance at school. Attendance is linked to attainment and is key to your child’s success. Every day your child is absent impacts on their education. Last year, 97% students with attendance over 95% (missing fewer than ten days of school over the academic year) achieved 5 A* – C grades at GCSE. Of those whose attendance was below 90% (missing more than nineteen days of school over the academic year) only 54.5% achieved the same grades.
STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING ATTENDANCE
- Inform the school immediately on first day of absence
- After illness make sure your child makes a prompt return to school
- Take holidays only during the school holiday periods
- Make medical and dental appointments outside school time when possible
- Monitor your child’s attendance closely
- In cases of prolonged absence or sporadic attendance the Attendance Manager will be alerted who will then make direct contact with the family
The school day begins at 8.30am, the first bell is rung at 8.25am and all students should go to their classroom at this time. Lateness = Lost Learning - 5 minutes late each day = 3 days lost, 10 minutes late each day = 6.5 days lost, 15 minutes late each day = 10 days lost.
HOW TO REPORT ABSENCE
- Please contact your child’s Pastoral Leader to report any absence.
- If your child is in Sixth Form and is unwell, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org to inform them of the absence.
If you have any other questions about Attendance and Absence, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's).
You can also view, download and print our Absence and Attendance Policy and application form here.
Oxfordshire County Council's updated code of conduct for issuing penalty notices for unauthorised absence takes effect 1 December 2016 and can be found here
If you would like to see our absence policy, please email email@example.com and we will be happy to share it.