Cheney Friends ECO EVENT
Thursday 23rd June 5 - 7:30 pm.
Venue: school library
In keeping with the theme of Greening Cheney - and hoping to raise some money for the GC project- we are holding an "Eco Event”.
This will include:
- a clothes swap table (donate some nice 2nd hand clothes in advance and then buy a bag of clothes for £5-10. Some kind of trying-on corner will hopefully be available!)-
- 2nd hand Cheney uniform- a mending/upcycling table (run by a Year 8 boy)
- a stall selling vegetarian and vegan meals
- Quarry Cycle Services (a Cheney dad) to adjust bikes/pump up tyres/dispense cycling advice; now that the LTNs are making driving to Cheney (and driving around Oxford generally) so much harder, he is particularly keen to help children and adults get on their bikes!
Tea/coffee and cake will be available for a small donation.
We would be really grateful if you could have a declutter this/next week and drop off any donations of “pre-loved” 2nd hand clothes to reception. In bags please. Older children (11-18) or adult clothes would be particularly welcome for the clothes swap above. Any clothes that don’t get sold at the event will be sent to Ukraine via Rags2Riches, a company we have used previously.
Your children are most welcome to attend the event too - they might like to pick up some "vintage" clothes for bargain prices!
Made out of Cheney polo shirts!
WHO ARE WE?
We are Cheney School’s Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) – open to all parents, carers and staff of Cheney School.
Cheney Friends, also known as Cheney School Association, is a Registered Charity, no. 294396.
WHAT DO WE DO?
Cheney Friends helps the school and parents/carers to stay in touch with one another, runs social events and raises money for the school.
- We provide a forum for discussion between staff and parents/carers on various subjects concerning the school, education and other topics of interest to Cheney families, such as environmental issues.
- We organise events such as Quiz Nights, Welcome Evenings for new parents, presentations by school staff and visiting speakers.
- We provide refreshments at music shows, drama performances and other school events.
- We run second-hand uniform sales, encouraging the reuse of good quality uniform and raising funds for the school at the same time.
- Our fundraising has bought: a grand piano, a new sound system for the Assembly Hall, a wood-turning lathe, books for the Library’s Book Canon, rowing blades for Cheney Falcon Rowing Club, an outdoor water-refill station – and much more!
Our meetings are held once every full term, with an AGM in November, and we are always keen to see new faces (even virtually) and have fresh ideas.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
As well as attending meeting, there are a number of other ways you can help us to support the school.
- Help us at an event or during a second-hand uniform sale
- Shop with any of the retailers listed on easyfundraising.org.uk, where we are listed as "Cheney School Association - Oxford, Headington", and a percentage of what you spend is passed to Cheney Friends, at no extra cost to you.
- You can raise funds for Cheney Friends by shopping with Amazon Smile, where you will find us listed as “Cheney School Association”Join us for a meeting - we meet every half term in the library
You can read recent minutes to find out more about what we do.
- Thank you to Oxfordshire Community Foundation for its generous grant of £5,000 towards the purchase of over 30 laptops, needed for remote learning.
- Thank you to Waitrose (Headington store) for its donation of £333, which helped to buy an extra fridge for Food Technology. Also for donating a large number of drinking glasses, for use at school events.